Multimodal Publishing and Public Scholarship, November 6, 2-3:30pm, The Heritage Room, Babbidge Library
OER presentation below by Kathleen Labadorf. Amazing speakers were: Cheryl E. Ball, Brenda Bruggeman, Anke Finger, and Kathleen Fitzpatrick.
UConn's Open / Affordable Initiative
- Course ReDesign : German Film, SOCI 1501: Race, Class, and Gender
- Textbook adaptation and revision, textbook adoption, creation of ancillary materials : Chemistry
- Textbook Creation : Writing (OA), Physical Chemistry, Probability
Resources for Understanding the many varieties of Open
HowOpenIsIt? A Guide for Evaluating the Openness of Journals (from SPARC - the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition)
Critical Difference of OER ... But
In Higher Education, the lines blur. Research and educational materials combine in teaching and the classroom. It's more complicated and infinitely rich.
- Type of Publishing
- Research publications
- Enables widest readership (may not be the most prestigious journal)
- How “open” depends
Open Educational Resources
- Teaching and Learning materials
- Allow for 5Rs of Open
- Contribute: OER stewards actively contribute to efforts, whether financially or via in-kind contributions, to advance the awareness, improvement, and distribution of OER; and
- Attribute: OER stewards practice conspicuous attribution, ensuring that all who create or remix OER are properly and clearly credited for their contributions; and
- Release: OER stewards ensure OER can be released and used beyond the course and platform in which it was created or delivered; and
- Empower: OER stewards are inclusive and strive to meet the diverse needs of all learners, including by supporting the participation of new an non-traditional voices in OER creation and adoption.
Participation in Public Scholarship and Knowledge
2018-2019 : Literacy, Equity + Remarkable Notes = LEARN is a collaborative project of the National Writing Project (NWP), National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
Share your syllabi : Building UConn's Open Repository